Paperwork – Getting Started & Next Steps

How You Can Get W-2 from a Previous Employer

It is an individual’s responsibility to ensure that the file the tax returns within the required time. A W-2 form is vital in this process since it provides an employee with essential information regarding their income from employment in the previous year. Employers are needed to issue a W-2 to the government and employees by 31 January every year. The information in a W-2 form is used by employees for filing their income tax returns for the year. Even after one has quit their previous job, the employee still needs to get a W-2 form from the former employer. Due to this, it is necessary that one is aware of what they need to do to get a W-2 form from the previous employer to comply with the requirements of the IRS to file their tax returns by April 15. Find some helpful information regarding what to do to get a W-2 from the previous employer.

A person can wait for the previous employer to send the W-2 by 31 January as would be the case on a regular basis. A person can also ask an employer to provide them with the W-2 form earlier than 31 January, whereby the employer must give the W-2 form within 30 days after the request is made.

When the W-2 doesn’t get to you by 14th February, it is necessary that one takes measures to get the W-2 from the previous employer. You need to take action because regardless of when you get the W-2, you have to submit your tax returns within the set timeframe. One of the measures to take is to ask your former HR representative to provide you with the W-2. For a company without an HR representative, you can contact the boss directly to get your W-2 form. You need to ensure that the contact address you provided is accurate.

It is possible for you to get your W-2 by contacting the payroll administrator. You may be required to confirm the necessary details of your employment as well as confirming your current address. Where the payroll administrator reports that the W-2 has already been mailed to you, you can ask for confirmation of the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

It is also possible for you to contact the IRS directly if they fail on the other methods. It can be easier to get the needed assistance when you can get your former company’s employer identification number, your salary and wages information and relevant details about your employer. The IRS will contact the employer to require the missing form and will issue you with another form to fill out.
What Has Changed Recently With Income?
22 Lessons Learned: Taxes